Family Visa

Home - Family Visa
Family Visa Attorney

Family Visa

Family-Based Green Cards:

An adult U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) may apply to the United States government for an immigrant visa for a spouse or other close relative such as a child, a parent, or sibling. Once the application is approved, it does not necessarily mean that there is an immigrant visa immediately available for the family member. Depending on whether the family member is a spouse, child, parent, sibling, etc., the family member may have to wait until an immigrant visa is available for them to permanently live in the U.S. When the immigrant visa becomes available, and the family member is currently in the U.S., your family member can file a petition for an “adjustment of status” to become a Lawful Permanent Resident (an LPR with a green card). If the family member is still in their home country, they would make an application for Consular Processing in that country.

Family visa petitions for the spouse of a U.S. citizen are typically immediately available. Other types of family members are placed into preference order which determines who is given priority entry into the United States:

  1. First Preference: Unmarried, adult (21 years of age or older) sons and daughters of U.S. citizens.
  2. Second Preference: Spouses of lawful permanent residents and the unmarried sons and daughters of lawful       permanent residents.
  3. Third Preference: Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens.
  4. Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens.

Contact Schober Law, PLLC to discuss your case.

If you are seeking a family visa, call the attorneys at Schober Law, PLLC today at 212-457-1253, or complete the contact form provided on this site to schedule your free consultation with a lawyer.

We are located in New York City but work with families well beyond New York who wish to procure any type of family visa.