Marriage Visa

Home - Marriage Visa
Marriage Visa

Marriage Visa

A Marriage Visa permits the foreign national spouse of a United States citizen to travel to the USA and receive a green card. The foreign national spouse will then be a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR).

Each party must meet certain minimum qualifications for this immigration benefit. If both the U.S. citizen and the foreign national are eligible, we can help you apply for a Marriage Visa.

If your fiancé or spouse is already in the U.S., there are other options to keep them in the country.

Each case is unique. Call Schober Law, PLLC if you need a Marriage Visa in New York City (212-457-1253).

Marriage Visa Requirements

You must meet the following requirements to qualify for the Marriage Visa:

  1. You (the “petitioner”) must be a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR with green card).
    1. Currently, the CR1 Marriage Visa is only available to U.S. citizens. If you are a lawful permanent resident, you may file for an F2A Marriage Visa. It is a similar process but it does take longer.
  2. You must be married.
    1. You cannot file for a Marriage Visa until you are married. If your fiancé is outside of the U.S. and you prefer to marry in the U.S., the fiancé visa may be a better option for you.
  3. You must be able to financially support your spouse in the United States.
    1. You must meet certain guidelines to show that you can financially support your spouse. If you do not meet the guidelines, you may have another U.S. citizen cosponsor with you or use your financial assets to meet the requirements.
  4. Your spouse must have obeyed all U.S. immigration laws.
    1. Certain infractions, such as an illegal entry or overstaying a visa can complicate the process of obtaining a marriage visa. Contact an immigration lawyer at Schober Law, PLLC to discuss your matter (212-457-1253).